In recent years, Croatia has worked hard towards increasing entrepreneurship activity through international organizations and the European Union. As a result, the entrepreneurial activity is expected to increase substantially.
The following is an example of some of their efforts:
Record Interest of Citizens in Entrepreneurial Projects
- January 9, 2008. The response of the entrepreneurs to invitation for tender for 13 incentive projects is higher than expected this year. (Government efforts to invest in small entrepreneurship businesses)
- The response of the entrepreneurs to invitation for tender for 13 incentive projects is higher than expected this year. The overall number of 11,322 requests have been submitted, what is a 62% increase if compared with 2007, in which 6,970 requests were submitted. The entrepreneurs were mostly interested in the project Strengthening of Small Business Competitiveness…as well as for the project Entrepreneurship of Women and Target Groups, for which the total number of 2,452 requests were received. All requests were processed and for most of the projects the committees were summoned. The first payments were disbursed in July this year.
Conference on EU Programme for Entreprise, innovation begins:
- September 11, 2008. The European Union has many programmes aimed at preparing entrepreneurs for Croatia”s membership, including the Entrepreneurship and Innovation Programme (EIP) supporting innovation projects in small and medium-sized enterprise, notably those implemented through transborder cooperation, an advisor of the European Commission (EC) Delegation to Croatia.
- The EU has three programmes helping Croatia adjust, including IPA, which is intended only for Croatia, regional projects in which Croatia can participate through cooperation with neighbours, and projects such as EIP
Calls for proposals for the Research in Industry Gant Open
- April 7, 2008. The Fund has been created by the Croatian Ministry of Science, Technology and Sports with the aim to use potential and establish cooperation between the Croatian scientific and professional Diaspora. The Fund finances collaborative research projects and knowledge-based business activities of expatriates and Croatian researchers, institutions and companies.
- The Fund supports only those projects that create added values to Croatian economy and society, and those that stimulate transfer of knowledge and investments to Croatia.
The following was reported by the US Embassy in Zagreb, Croatia:
- November 3, 2005. United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Croatia Mission Director, William Jeffers, witnessed the signing of a Letter of Intent between the Ministry of Economy, Labour and Entrepreneurship and USAID’s project Poduzetna Hrvatska on November 3.
- The purpose is to establish a mutual framework for technical assistance to Croatian businesses and entrepreneurs. USAID and the Ministry will work together on increasing the investment, employment, and profitability of enterprises in the following three areas:
- Improving access to and raising the quality of business services for entrepreneurs through the business-to-business web-based portal “Business Navigator”;
- Supporting investment by improving promotion and facilitation of foreign direct investment and improved investment climate; and
- Improving the availability of credit to small and medium sized businesses through Local Guarantee Funds.
Transformation Generated Entrepreneurship
Assessing Entrepreneurship Programmes in Higher Education
Croatian Entrepreneurs Interested in Food Companies
Croatia Constitutional Court Denies Request to Declare Certain Provisions of the Law on Entrepreneurship Unconstitutional
Electronic Proceedings of International Conference on "Enterprise in Transition"
The Unofficial Economy in Croatia: Causes, Size and Consequences